You invest a significant amount of money in the carpets you install on your property and it goes without saying that you maintain them well too. However, in case of any flood or leak, the water can damage your carpet and your investment will also literally be washed into the water. When it comes to water damage, the most important aspect is speed. It’s crucial that you dry the carpet as soon as possible and arrest the damage to the installation and prevent the growth of mould and mildew.
Ideally, you should call in experts to handle the job within 24 hours of the water damage. They will use advanced techniques and equipment such as dehumidifiers and blowers to dry out the carpets completely and restore it to its pre-flood condition.
However, if you are unable to get a professional to come in right away to deal with the problem or if you are able to get some drying equipment and want to start with drying out the wet damaged carpet, here are a few tips and tricks that can be very helpful:
- Remove standing water- this is important so as to protect carpet, the underlay, subfloor as well as walls, from further damage
- Protect the Furniture- Typically, the salvageable furniture will have to be removed before you start with the water extraction process
- Extract the wet carpet and the pad- Remove the entire carpet installation as well as the pad underneath and set it aside in a drier place. Once the water has been carefully extracted from the carpet only a certain amount of dampness will remain
- Set-up the drying equipment- It is possible to hire equipment like commercial dehumidifiers and blowers. The residential dehumidifier that you may have in your home will be ineffective in drying out a wet carpet that has been affected by a flood or a major water leak in your home
- Apply special antimicrobials- These are available in supermarkets and its important that you use these on the installation as they prevent the growth of mould, mildew and other fungi
- Test whether the drying is complete- Check the carpet manually for dampness. If there is any wetness either in the carpet or the pad, it will develop an odour and this in an indication that its still damp; you will have to action the drying process one more time, till it is completely dry.
Call in the Experts
As mentioned earlier, it’s best to call in professionals for this job. They have the expertise, experience and the right technology to get the carpet and the underlayment as dry as it should be. Even before they start the work, they check the extent of the damage and also work closely with you to help you with all the paperwork you need to submit to the insurance company. This is an important part of the process as you wouldn’t get reimbursed if the claim isnt filed in the right manner.
We at Spotless Cleaning Solutions are one of the leading companies in this space and have been providing excellent flood damage carpet extraction services to customers, both residential and commercial. For more information, call us at 1800853094 or send us your queries using this online form.